Tuesday, January 6, 2009

If you seek Amy

Really?? Has anyone listened to the track on Circus entitled “if you seek Amy?” it’s a confusing if not thinly veiled attempt at paradise where Britney finally realizes she can say whatever the hell she wants in her lyrics because no one really a) pays attention b) gives a rats rainbow about what comes out of her mouth and c) judges her artistic merit on the basis of her songs. We just want to know how hot your bod is.
Speaking of hot bods…
Lindsey and I are official members of the elite (well… idiotic) team of roadsters who will be running in the Cape Town half-marathon. So today was the first day of the rest of my life. Or the first day of the rest of no rest. Or the first day of me getting to use the excuse “what… I need these carbs to train. Lay off.” I am pumped to have something to train for again; something to look forward to and to accomplish. I can’t remember the last time that ive felt that way about something. I don’t know if I will feel that way about peace corps… I think it’s too early to tell.
America the beautiful. All of you who are sitting in your homes, offices, libraries, tiki huts reading this right now… go to your local 7-11 and down a coke slurpee for me. No I don’t give a shit if you get a frozen headache. Just take one for the team. I just got home from three weeks of unbridled fun and fancy frolic in the land of the free. The moment I stepped into the Atlanta airport I could not remove the Cheshire cat smile from my face. I was walking around in a euphoric daze, creepily staring at children, old men, women, and those pathetic little dogs that people are allowed to tote on airplanes these days. Everyone was a friend. Everyone of those people I had gone to an 8th grade dance with, bought my first recorder from, had taught me ribbon dancing… I just felt an inexplicable sense of kinship with everyone I saw. The routine upon me leaving Lesotho is usually as follows
1) see white people
2) think I know every white person I see
3) realize I don’t know anyone, but golly are they attractive
4) yeah, nevermind.

But in America, it was just an amazing sense of familiarity. The moment I got there, Lesotho felt like a painting, or an obscure documentary that I had viewed once in college that I may or may not have attended a protest rally for. It didn’t seem like it had been a part of my life, let alone my life. I was back in the comfort of my former surroundings, and I had to constantly remind myself not to take anything and everything for granted. Walking through the isles of a Super Target was like being in Wonkaland… who thinks of this stuff? I cant even come up with an example because all of the products seemed so far fetched to me at the time. It really made me realize that I love living simply (well, living as a simplified version of my former self.) But also, how easy it is for me to take such things for granted.
THANK YOU to everyone who made an effort to see me, it meant the world to me.
TWONGS… I will always love you.

Top Ten American Adventures
10) Seeing Vito grind on those two ladies at the Mexican restaurant
9) TWINKLE LIGHTS
8) Damn it… lets hang out! Athens adventures and tequila techniques with my favorite party girl, KBag
7) Listening to my sister verbally accost Jesse during an innocent game of 30 seconds
6) Seeing Kevin Barnes. Seeing Kevin Barnes. Seeing Kevin Barnes. Kevin Barnes, if by some ungodly chance you are reading this… I will be your lover. With soul power. Please contact.
5) Tattie Grace Estes… www.deadstripper.com
4) Mustache rides in the town of the free
3) Riding the worlds tallest slingshot with two of the worlds finest human beings
2) Taking Kylie to a drag show. Seeing that drag show again later that night.
1) Dwight Howard and the dream team.

All in all, it was a wintery wonderland of amazing experiences.
But, back to life, back to Lesotho.
If you happen upon Rebecca’s blog in the near future (rebeccagoestoafrica.blogspot.com) be sure to mock her relentlessly for laying in bed reading Twilight for the second day in a row. Six months ago, when I tried to spread the gospel of Twilight, I was tarred and feathered.
Goodbye.

No comments: